Preparation time: 15
Cooking time: 30
15 ml olive oil
1 onion, chopped
150 g rindless bacon, chopped
2 cloves garlic cloves, crushed
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery sticks, chopped
400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
400 g tinned mixed beans, rinsed and drained
1 litre vegetable or chicken stock
1 small Savoy cabbage (about 90g), thinly sliced
2 pinches salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 handful Italian parsley, chopped
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a moderate temperature. Fry the onion and bacon for 3-4 minutes or until the onion is soft and begins to colour.
2. Stir in the garlic, carrot and celery and stir-fry for another few minutes. Add the tomatoes, beans, stock and cabbage and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup (with the lid on) for about 20 minutes.
3. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper, stir in the parsley and serve.
Preparation time: 10
Cooking time: 40
800 g butternut, diced (1 medium butternut)
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
5 ml mild curry powder
1 cube chicken stock cube, crumbled
250 ml buttermilk
1. Place the butternut, garlic, curry powder, stock and 400ml water in a large saucepan. Cover with a lid and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the butternut is tender.
2. Let the soup cool slightly, then purée in a food processor until smooth.
3. Stir in the buttermilk and heat slowly, until just hot. Serve with whole-wheat bread, butter and cheese.
Bean and pasta soup
30 ml oil
2 stick celery
2 litre chicken stock
3 ml garlic pepper
100 g fusilli noodles
410 g red kidney beans
Sauté the onion, carrots and celery in oil until soft.
Add chicken stock and seasoning, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the fusilli and cook for a further 10 minutes or until tender.
Purée half the kidney beans, add to the soup with the remaining whole beans and stir well.
Heat through for 2 minutes.